Meet Brooklyn

 “My daughter, Brooklyn was two-months old when boiling water from a bottle warmer fell into Brooklyn’s bassinet while she was sleeping. Once we arrived at the hospital, the burn team informed us that Brooklyn’s burns covered 15% of her body and that the next 48 hours would be the most critical (as a burn can take time to declare itself). That first night was one of the most difficult nights of our lives: as new parents, this entire experience was terrifying.

After a few days in the PICU, Brooklyn was transferred to the burn unit. We had no idea at the time that we would be spending the next five weeks in the 8C Burns and Plastics unit. The hospital became like home to us. We were fortunate because we lived in Toronto, had the support of a large family and a group of friends who prayed for Brooklyn, and helped keep us positive and visited us. During Brooklyn’s hospital stay, it felt like she would take one step forward and two steps back, but slowly and surely, she began to make steady progress. One of the most difficult conversations, that I will never forget, was when my husband and I were pulled into a room and told by the team that Brooklyn’s burns were much more severe than originally anticipated. She had second and third-degree full thickness burns that would require a skin graft surgery.

It has taken a long time for me to stop thinking about the “what ifs” or the guilt that I felt for not being able to protect Brooklyn that day. One of the most important lessons I have learned through this journey is the importance of gratitude. I will always be incredibly grateful for the burn team, for the family that was with us day in and day out, and for the friends we have made along the way.” -Ashley, Mother of a Burn Survivor

Meet More Survivors

Meet Michelle S.

“It was the Fourth of July in 2019, and my friends and family were enjoying the fireworks when someone at the neighboring property set off fireworks that went awry. 100 feet away from me, a high-velocity aerial rocket discharged horizontally

Read More
Meet Mia F.

Mia was enjoying her senior year at West Virginia University in Morgantown, WV and getting ready for her typical Sunday activities, meeting with her Alpha Xi Delta sorority sisters and studying at the library for an upcoming exam. Mid-day rolled

Read More
Meet Zayden

Zaydan was only 18 months old when he fell into an inground fire pit after his older brother scared him. He was burned all over both of his hands and arms with some burns on his leg. This led to

Read More
Meet Tonya

It was December 17, 2018, when Tonya was burned while her and her husband were cooking dinner at their at-home fire pit. She went inside to grab some steaks to place on the grates added to the fire pit to

Read More
Meet Theresa

Our “SUnShine of the Day”🌞 is a courageous & resilient burn survivor, Theresa! May her story be a reminder of how precious life is & that you’re capable of overcoming any obstacle that comes your way. On 3/27/20, while sitting

Read More
Meet Samuel O.

Samuel was burned as a toddler, barely a year old, when hot water from the iron poured down the right side of his face. His bottom eyelid was damaged, and he still bears the scar of this childhood burn injury.

Read More

Make A Donation