Meet Max

On March 19, 2011, Max was burned in an accidental fire from gas-igniting while doing yard work. 

Max sustained third-degree burns on 25% of his body and was taken by helicopter to Vanderbilt’s Regional Burn Unit in Nashville where he spent three weeks recovering. He had two skin graph surgeries and later spent a week in Skyline Hospital undergoing rehab. His wife was by his side the entire time. 

“Recovering from a burn injury is a long process.  Fortunately for me I had a great support system.  The staff in Vanderbilt’s Burn Unit is amazing,” Omar said. “Aside from taking good care of me they were such a personable group and their TLC went a long way to relieve the emotional issues involved with my injury.”

 Omar became a counselor at Camp Hope, a camp sponsored by the Burn Unit for kids ages 6 to 16 that have been a burn patient. In 2017, Vanderbilt formed a chapter of the Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors where Omar is a Peer Support Volunteer and routinely visits with other burn survivors during their recovery.     

“Being a Burn Survivor is an important part of who I am at this point in my life,” he said. “I have so much respect for the people I have met through this experience, from my stay in the Burn Unit nine years ago, to my time there now as a volunteer and my time as a counselor at Camp Hope. I feel blessed that my traumatic accident led to so many good experiences in the end.”

Meet More Survivors

Meet Michelle S.

“It was the Fourth of July in 2019, and my friends and family were enjoying the fireworks when someone at the neighboring property set off fireworks that went awry. 100 feet away from me, a high-velocity aerial rocket discharged horizontally

Read More
Meet Mia F.

Mia was enjoying her senior year at West Virginia University in Morgantown, WV and getting ready for her typical Sunday activities, meeting with her Alpha Xi Delta sorority sisters and studying at the library for an upcoming exam. Mid-day rolled

Read More
Meet Zayden

Zaydan was only 18 months old when he fell into an inground fire pit after his older brother scared him. He was burned all over both of his hands and arms with some burns on his leg. This led to

Read More
Meet Tonya

It was December 17, 2018, when Tonya was burned while her and her husband were cooking dinner at their at-home fire pit. She went inside to grab some steaks to place on the grates added to the fire pit to

Read More
Meet Theresa

Our “SUnShine of the Day”🌞 is a courageous & resilient burn survivor, Theresa! May her story be a reminder of how precious life is & that you’re capable of overcoming any obstacle that comes your way. On 3/27/20, while sitting

Read More
Meet Samuel O.

Samuel was burned as a toddler, barely a year old, when hot water from the iron poured down the right side of his face. His bottom eyelid was damaged, and he still bears the scar of this childhood burn injury.

Read More

Make A Donation