Meet Theresa

Our “SUnShine of the Day”🌞 is a courageous & resilient burn survivor, Theresa! May her story be a reminder of how precious life is & that you’re capable of overcoming any obstacle that comes your way.

On 3/27/20, while sitting around a bonfire with friends, a mixture of gas & oil was poured onto it to make it bigger, causing an explosion that set Theresa on fire from head to toe. Her friend who threw the mixture, along with her husband, acted quickly & smothered the flames, while another friend called 911.

She was rushed to HCMC Burn Center where she spent 26 days in the burn unit & underwent ~ 2 years of physical recovery. Initially, the most challenging aspect for Theresa was the physical constraints she faced due to the burns, which necessitated skin grafts on 30% of her body, including her hands & legs. Three years later, the most challenging part is the mental recovery.

Theresa’s willingness to display her scars depends on her mental state on a given day. Some days she takes pride in showcasing them while on others, she strives to conceal them. She actively works on accepting & loving herself, along with her scars.

Theresa’s message to others who may face similar challenges is simple: never give up. Follow the advice of your healthcare team, do your exercises, stay committed to the healing process, and never play with fire.

Meet More Survivors

Meet Michelle S.

“It was the Fourth of July in 2019, and my friends and family were enjoying the fireworks when someone at the neighboring property set off fireworks that went awry. 100 feet away from me, a high-velocity aerial rocket discharged horizontally

Read More
Meet Mia F.

Mia was enjoying her senior year at West Virginia University in Morgantown, WV and getting ready for her typical Sunday activities, meeting with her Alpha Xi Delta sorority sisters and studying at the library for an upcoming exam. Mid-day rolled

Read More
Meet Zayden

Zaydan was only 18 months old when he fell into an inground fire pit after his older brother scared him. He was burned all over both of his hands and arms with some burns on his leg. This led to

Read More
Meet Tonya

It was December 17, 2018, when Tonya was burned while her and her husband were cooking dinner at their at-home fire pit. She went inside to grab some steaks to place on the grates added to the fire pit to

Read More
Meet Samuel O.

Samuel was burned as a toddler, barely a year old, when hot water from the iron poured down the right side of his face. His bottom eyelid was damaged, and he still bears the scar of this childhood burn injury.

Read More
Meet Samuel M.

September 1, 2009 started out just like any other day for Samuel, but it didn’t end like one.  Samuel was hired to help a neighbor move.  While handling a seemingly useless box of what looked like books and hay from

Read More

Make A Donation